Lol! I’m not even sure why I chose to write on this topic “FIBROIDS”.
Fibroids is a common health problem plaguing a lot of women, especially Nigerian women, mentally, physically and socially. It is a major ‘sleep-killer’!
Each day at the clinic, I see 3 out of 7 women with fibroids and fibroids-related problems. Their general reaction to fibroids is one of sad ignorance. Before women can get past these fears, we need to first list the fears…abi, what do you think?
- Fibroids is hereditary and can be passed from one generation to another.
- Having fibroids means having surgery.
- Having fibroids means removal of the womb.
- Fibroid surgery leads to death.
- Fibroids means never been able to get pregnant.
- Fibroids is the same as cancer.
To really overcome these fears, you need to address them one by one. How? Get some education on Fibroid.
Not really in the mood to go into scientific explanations but some things are sure which are:
- Fibroids is not hereditary. There is no gene carrying Fibroids.
- Fibroids may or may not be surgically removed. It all depends on the size, location and distressing symptoms.
- Fibroids doesn’t kill and neither is the surgery as long as you do not allow it get complicated and you do not patronize quack surgeons.
- Fibroids is not cancerous.
- Fibroids can be a cause of infertility, depending on the type and the location, but that does not mean it cannot be managed
Enough of me ‘talking’…ask and you shall be answered.