Breastmilk is one of God’s greatest gift to mankind. Mothers and children, even fathers benefit from breast milk.
I know we all know the benefits of breastmilk, but the issue is that, is your child really benefiting from it?
I’ve watched mothers over the years breastfeed their infants, unfortunately, they do it wrongly. I’m not even talking about the technique of breastfeeding but the length of time mothers allow their infants spend feeding.
Let me just help you mothers understand that, the breast milk has 2 parts to it : the foremilk and the hindmilk. The foremilk, is the milk that the child sucks first and contains more water and less fat. While the hindmilk is the ‘koko’! This part of milk contains mostly fat and little or no water. This part of the milk will make your baby, if not fat but healthy.
So what am I trying to say? I’m basically telling you mothers that the longer you breastfeed your child on a particular breast, the better for you and your baby.
A lot of mothers are always in a hurry to ‘pack’ their breasts as soon as the baby takes a break or when they feel a little relief on the breast. If you do this, then you have succeeded in feeling your baby up with more water than food! That’s why a lot of babies get hungry easily and mothers get frustrated crying that their babies are always hungry or that they are not putting on weight!
Now, you can quit complaining and do the right thing. Try to spend at least 30minutes on a breast…even if it looks like the baby is asleep but the nipple is still hanging in his or her mouth!
Ruby Agu of rubyagu.com is one special lady who’s story I’ll soon tell on the ‘Interview’ section of the blog. She’ll be sharing with us her amazing story of her weight-loss journey.
This awesome mother of two decided to increase awareness on the problems women face concerning their reproductive system or organs, especially cancers… Cervical cancer, endometrial cancer, etc. The event was titled GYFEST.
It was held on Saturday in Gbagada at the Tots and Cots Preschool, and was well attended. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it, because as usual… My schedule was extremely tight! But I was opportuned to get hold of some sneak pics of the event…
It was a fantastic outing.
Most importantly, women should start making their health and life a priority.
You can visit her website http://www.rubyagu.com
And I’m not kidding!
A lot of people are on a suicide mission and they don’t know! I got the shock of my life when I asked my client to show me the drugs he has been taking…only for him to bring out a huge bag of drugs. Thinking he didn’t understand what I said, I told him to just select the ones he is presently on and he says all of them!
The guy apparently goes from one hospital to the other, collecting drugs from different doctors…
Mothers, you need to be alert now, the weather is not so friendly, especially for those living in Lagos, Nigeria. The worst thing any mother would want to experience now, is a sick child, more so, one with a bad cough!
I personally can’t stand 2 things: cough and catarrh. I’m sorry, but I endeavor to keep my kids away from kids who have these symptoms, even if you are my best friend!
So, first things first, you don’t want a ‘coughing’ child, then try and do the following (if you know any more that can help you, then do):
- Keep your child warm, especially the ones that easily catch a cold.
- Keep your kids away from kids with cough and catarrh. Be nice about how you do it, but keep them away.
- Don’t take your child to the creche or school if he has a cold or cough. Some mothers are just so ignorant or choose to be!
- Make the room and bedding dust-free.
- Teach your kid who has the cough how to prevent others from ‘catching’ it.
- Increase their fruit and vegetables intake…biscuit and sweets can never help them! Once their immunity is high, it’s usually difficult for a child to fall ill just like that.
If after doing all these and your kid comes down with cough and maybe catarrh, then you can start a home remedy. But if you notice that it’s getting worse, don’t wait for me or anyone else to beg you to take your child to the hospital!
SIGNS THAT TELL YOU THAT THE COUGH IS REALLY BAD:
- Worsening cough that disturbs sleep and normal activity.
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in breathing
A SIMPLE COUGH CAN KILL…besides, all these tips apply to adults too!
With the sudden change in weather now, there has been an increase in the Flu.
If you are wondering what I’m talking about, Flu is just another name for the ‘Common cold’ and symptoms include:
– presence or absence of high fever
– mild to moderate cough
– sore throat (which can be itchy)
– runny and stuffy nose
– generalized body pain
– feeling of tiredness
– sometimes reduced or no appetite, nausea and or vomiting
These symptoms occur in no particular order and it’s not compulsory you must have everything.
Now, the issue is, what can one do to relieve one from all these discomfort?
1. You need to stop all forms of stressful work, just so that you can rest.
2. Drink lots of water, clear fluid. Or better still, low-calorie energy drinks.
3. Drink hot beverages, lemon tea.
4. Keep your room warm…not hot.
5. If your nostrils are blocked, try some steam inhalation with some Eucalyptus oil in it.
6. Try using saline nasal sprays
7. Take some Aspirin, Ibuprofen or Diclofenac to relieve the headache and body pain.
8. Don’t forget your immune boosters, such as multivitamins, fruits and veggies.
N.B: Don’t forget to cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze. You can sneeze directly into the nook of your elbow or a handkerchief… Never your hands. I pity anyone who decides to shake or hold you.
If symptoms persist after all these, just pay your doctor a visit. Consultation fee will be charged.