We know we all want a flat belly…No pain, No gain! Therefore, here are some core exercises to help you get that ab you’ve always desired.
1. RUSSIAN TWISTS
Russian twists are an ingenious way of ripping your ab muscles and building core strength.
- Start the exercise sitting on your butt. Lift your legs and fold and cross your legs slightly.
- Holding either a dumbbell, barbell plate or medicine ball, move your arms alternately from side to side.
- Be sure to use your core for the movement.
2. LOWER BELLY LEG REACH
This is essentially a 2-in-1 exercise that targets the lower abdominal area.
- Start with your back to the ground and with your legs raised up, knees bent at a 90-degree angle over the hips.
- From a more relaxed position and your hands behind your head, slowly lift your shoulders and perform a crunch.
- At the top of the crunch, hold the position for five seconds.
- After you’re finished with the first position, extend your legs upwards from the 45-degree angle and hold the position for five seconds to complete a rep.
- Perform three sets of 12 reps.
3. DONKEY KICKBACKS
Donkey kickbacks might not look very effective but one thing is certain, they’ll give you a burn in all the right places.
- The starting position for this exercise is on your hands and knees with your back kept as flat as possible at all times.
- From the starting position, rest all your lower body weight on your toes only (knees off the ground).
- Tighten your belly muscles while bringing your right knee as close to your nose as possible, and straighten your right leg behind you for one rep.
- Take care not to strike your nose with your knee.
- Repeat the motion for 12 reps and three sets.
- Switch to the left leg and repeat the motion.
Planks are one of my personal favorites because despite being really effective in sculpting the abdominal region they also do a great job of working the arms, butt and even the quads.
- Start the position by getting on all fours with shoulders directly aligned above your arms.
- Stretch both legs out behind you so that your lower body rests on the balls of your feet.
- With your abs drawn inwards and your body aligned as flat as possible, hold the position for a minute.
- Repeat the exercise for three sets.
5. BOAT POSE
The lower abs are some of the most problematic regions of the abdominal area, particularly for women. The boat pose is a great weapon for blasting lower belly flab.
- The workout starts in a seated position with the feet flat on the ground, knees bent in front and the upper body supported by both arms behind the torso.
- Stretch out your legs in front and stretch out your arms in front of you.
- Keep your back straight. Hold the pose for a full minute and let your legs fall back down slowly.
- Repeat the exercise three times.
6. REVERSE CRUNCH
This exercise can be done to fight belly flab without any equipment but to get even better results, you can opt for an eight-pound medicine ball.
- Lie on your back, legs raised and fold your knees at a 90-degree angle.
- Place a medicine ball between your legs. Pull your knees toward your chest and return to the starting position for one rep.
- Aim for three sets of 12 reps.
7. MEDICINE BALL SLAMS
They’re fun, and they look really easy, but they can certainly kick belly flab into oblivion. All you need is a medicine ball and a bit of firm ground.
- To start, lift the medicine ball above your head with your knees slightly bent.
- Slam the ball into the ground as hard as you can, pick it back up and repeat the routine for three sets of 15 reps.
Source: FITNESS REPUBLIC