Mrs Okafor is very angry right now, because according to her, her husband won’t stop interfering in domestic affairs. She says her husband undermines her authority in front of their maid, which is probably contributing to the maid’s insolence towards her.
She has given him some conditions which includes –
- He should desist from paying the maid her monthly salary and hand over that ‘portfolio’ to her.
- Whenever he needs anything, rather than mention the maid’s name, he should inform her.
- He should never scold or even correct her in front of the maid even if she’s doing the wrong thing.
- He should stop asking after the maid’s well being like “Has she eaten?” and all that.
- He must never send the maid on any errand.
- All matters concerning domestic duties should be left in her care.
Mrs Okafor is threatening to move out of their matrimonial home if he doesn’t agree to these terms and sign.
- Do you think husbands should involve themselves in domestic affairs?
- Is Mrs Okafor over reacting?
- Are her terms of resolution too harsh?
- Do you think there is any possibility of the couple sharing domestic affairs?
- Should there be a limit to Mr Okafor’s interference?
Frankly speaking, I personally can’t stand men who interfere in domestic issues. I think that aspect should be left to the woman. Then if she’s having problems, she could invite him to help solve it, but he shouldn’t force it.
Well, I’m feeling Mrs Okafor’s annoyance but she should chill. It hasn’t gotten to the stage of giving ultimatums, I think it’s something she can work out amicably if she puts her points across well.
The husband can keep paying the bills but shouldn’t be the one to give it directly to the maid. It should go through ‘madam’.
Abi, what do you guys suggest?