A lot of people suffer unnecessarily from this problem…and to think it can actually be prevented.
In-growing toe nail when a nail (usually from the big toe) starts to grow into the skin of that toe, at the corner of the nail. It can be really red and painful, as well as easily infected.
Things that could cause In-growing toe nails:
1. Very tight shoes
2. Very tight socks
3. Improperly cut nails
4. Badly shaped toe nails
What to do when you have it
1. Soak the affected foot in a large bowl of hot salty water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Then wash foot again in warm soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
3. Slip a small piece of cotton gauze between the sharp edge of the nail and the skin that it’s cutting into.
4. Clean the area where the cotton gauze is with the help of a clean toothpick sterilized in methylated spirit.
5. Add some antiseptic powder to reduce infection. Do this everyday. If no improvement…straight to the hospital.
6. Make sure you keep your feet clean and dry.
7. Wear open shoes or sandals that are not tight.
How to prevent this problem
1. Before cutting your nail, soak your feet in warm water for a few minutes, in order to soften them.
2. Cut your nails straight while you file the sides gently.
3. Stop picking or cutting your toe nails with your fingers.
4. Don’t wear tight shoes or socks.
See a doctor if:
1. You are diabetic
2. The toe is oozing pus
3. The nail is growing crookedly