Just when you think that statistics of women who cheat on their husbands is low, some people are seriously working to disprove it. Various studies have shown that married women cheat more and are very good at hiding it!
According to saturday PUNCH, below are a list of studies done and their findings:
- The National Opinion Research Centre at the University of Chicago, United States, found that the percentage of wives admitting to extramarital affairs rose by almost 40 per cent over the last two decades and that women behave differently from men when they cheat.
- Other researchers who used an online questionnaire revealed that 19 per cent of women admitted to straying outside their relationships because they were discontent with their relationships and not merely attracted to the men.The study stressed that the most common reasons for infidelity include feeling lonely and disconnected from one’s partner, lack of communication, love and attention deficit, boredom, sexual disconnect or lack of intimacy.
- A study published in the journal, Hormones and Behaviour, found that women who experienced any of these coupled with their high-fertility period were significantly more likely to find fault with their partners, therefore looking for comfort elsewhere.
- Dr. David Holmes, a psychologist at Manchester Metropolitan University in England, showed that women are psychologically sophisticated, which makes them better liars and cheat on their spouses with lesser stress. He also said, Holmes said, “Women are also better at mental multi-tasking. You can keep all the different strands of a lie in your mind, remember them and make them convincing. Men lie, too, but they are much more likely to forget something, or make a mistake and get caught. Emotionally, women make plans and have strategies, while men are more impulsive”.
- Holmes also showed that biologically, women are programmed to be more careful about revealing an infidelity than men who would rather brag about it until they are caught.
- Holmes noted further that women often keep the secret because they’re much more conscious of how much there is to lose, and to protect the other people involved, hence, they compartmentalise their emotional lives and don’t let the affair bleed into the rest of their lives.
- Men want to think their women don’t cheat, and women want men to think they don’t cheat. No wonder women are better at secret affairs.
- Holmes adds that, “The biggest difference is that women are much better at keeping their affairs secret. If you look at the studies into paternity, even conservative figures show that between eight and 15 per cent of children haven’t been fathered by the man who thinks he’s the biological parent,”
- According to Dr. Hokemeyer, a family and addictions therapist, there are three main factors driving more and more wives to cheat; women have become more financially independent, social stigmas have been lifted and attitudes about women engaging in sex have changed.
- “Why do women lie? Because we must, and because we can. In spite of apparent equality and a more sexually open society, we are still more harshly judged for our sex lives than men.“In fact, we lie so much and for so many reasons that often we don’t even think of it as lying at all, but as ‘relationship management,’” they said.
- Another survey of 3000 people done by British dating firm, Coffee & Company, showed that while nine per cent of men were certain they’d be unfaithful if they fell for somebody else, a whopping 25 per cent of female respondents said they would definitely have an affair if an outsider pleased their interest.
- The survey said many look for love elsewhere out of feelings of neglect or when emotionally undervalued, and if sex becomes boring and predictable, women may wander away to find someone else who can spice things up.
- Needless to say that a number of men place a higher value on the fidelity of their wives which seems to produce a strange kind of emotional blindness in many men once they have selected a partner to settle down with, no wonder women with intention to cheat do so unsuspected.
- Winifred Reilly, a marriage and family therapist, says there are many reasons for infidelity such as revenge, boredom, the thrill of sexual novelty, sexual addiction, but that most of the time, motivations for such differ by gender, with men searching for more sex or care and attention and women looking to fill an emotional void, say attention and affection.
- “I don’t think women are doing it because they want to have more sex. But I don’t think they mind if they get it. It is not really about sex per se as much as the experience of being with somebody,” Reilly said.
- Reacting to the study, a psychologist, Dr. (Mrs.) Bonke Omoteso, said she would agree with the findings of the study because it appears acceptable for men to cheat and have many girlfriends which women would dare not do, hence, if they have to do it, it would be done discreetly.
- Omoteso said apart from women who have psychological problem, the reason why women would cheat varies, ranging from revenge, economic purpose to psychological mania.
- “The wife may want to do it because the man is also doing it. She could do it to raise money if the husband is not taking proper care of her and probably the children and if women feel too lonely as a result of neglect by the husband, they may look for a way out for themselves.“However, we have some women who have psychological problems, in which case they can’t be okay with one man, so they have to cheat on their husbands.”
Oh well, God dey!! It means that husbands need to step up their game and leave the rest to God.